Critical reflection

Module learning

Writing has been one of my weaker points since I started secondary school. For the longest time, being able to write well seemed like an unattainable goal for me. With many of my peers seemingly able to write well naturally, I believed it to be a natural talent. Only during this module did I realize how naive that mindset was. Throughout the trimester, with much practice in academic writing, alongside additional resources and methods taught in class, I found that my writing has already substantially improved, proving that writing was not just a natural skill but something I can improve. 

Another revelation for me in this module was the different requirements for different reports. Initially, I expected the reports in this module to be very similar to my previous essays. But contrary to my belief, there were quite a few differences with technical writing compared to the arts-focused reports I wrote previously. Firstly, when reading a lot of the papers, there were more technical aspects that I needed to understand. Explaining such concepts also had different requirements, requiring more technical specs where quoting was necessary, unlike arts-related topics where the gist of what someone was saying was enough. With these newfound writing skills, I believe that I can apply them to future engineering academic writing.

In terms of verbal communication, I have always been soft-spoken. Thus, I expected myself to struggle to express my opinions in class and in groups. However, this module helped me work on my verbal communication skills and built my confidence. My presenting ability has improved with the many opportunities to talk in front of my classmates. I am willing to voice out more questions in this class than before. Even though my oral presentation was not as well presented as I had hoped, I found that my verbal communication skills have already improved compared to the start of this module. I know I still have much room for improvement in this aspect, and I hope that with the foundation of this module, I can further improve my presenting skills.


Project Learning

I took on the role of the leader in the group project. As a more introverted individual, I had to step out of my comfort zone to initiate group discussions. I also had to ensure that the work our group needed to do was done. This role was new for me as I had always been more passive. However, I realized that as the leader, it was my job to step up to that role, initiate discussions, and ensure everyone was on task. Thus, through this group project, I improved my leadership skills and learned to take more initiative. 

Another aspect I struggled with was keeping an open mind at the project's start. However, through this project, I tried to consider every suggestion from the group, and with the project coming to an end, I was also able to see the benefits of different inputs from multiple people. I may not have considered certain things, such as seeing flaws in the Vslam technology, if it was not for suggestions from my group members. As cliche as it sounds, this project reinforced the importance of an open mindset.

Comments

Post a Comment